Click the link below to hear the Daniel Song!



Daniel Song For Beth Moore Bible Study


Monday, August 28, 2006

 

Alive But At What Cost?

The two FOX News journalists have been released. We rejoice because Steve Centanni and Olaf Wig were released Sunday morning (our time). They were held prisoner in GAZA by radical terrorists for two weeks.

The release came on the heals of a videotape made by the terrorists. In this, the last tape..... Steve and Olaf both read written statements saying that they had converted to Islam, and worship the one true god Allah. They had accepted the Prophet Mohammad. They condemned the western ways etc etc. The statements were read at gunpoint (even though the terrorists weren't in the film). And, showing this tape on American news outlets was part of the deal for release.

How does this strike us? I've been following an interactive news site that has had much discussion about this. Some will contend that these statements meant nothing. That God knows their hearts and judges them by what they really believe etc. Others will argue that these denied Christ before men. Both sides will make a biblical argument.

I asked my wife (who follows news as little as possible considering she lives with a news junkie) what she thought. Without even looking up from her book she said "God knows their hearts and what they really believe". So I asked her, but what about Daniel, could he have just eaten the kings food and been okay because God knows what he really believes. Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego..... no need to go to the furnace? What about the Christians killed in the coliseums? Just say "Caesar is God" and live because God knows your heart? Bringing it closer to home, contrast it with Cassie who was killed in the Columbine murders because she stood up and said "yes I believe in Jesus".

I don't really know the answer. I'm certainly not judging them. I'm just thankful that I haven't been put in that position. I do think it's good to look at this and try to learn something from it about ourselves, and maybe about what might come. Imagine if we're here when the mark of the beast is being given out (assume the rapture is mid or post trib). Think of the pressure. Not only to live, but with the many religious leaders of the time saying .... "it's okay, God loves you, God wants you to be able to buy food for your family, God expects you to do what is necessary to take care of your family, God knows your true heart, you're already saved once and for all so taking the mark won't make a difference, God will forgive you after you take the mark if you just ask him, a conversion at gunpoint means nothing.... and on and on".

What would each of us do if we were over run by terrorists who demanded that we even "pretend" to renounce our faith in Christ, and publicly proclaim allah as god, or be killed?

Comments:
Hard to say...I know that as I am sitting here in my air conditioned house with my most serious stress being the arrival of family this weekend, I would say "God would want me to stand firm...to not be ashamed before men...to not be afraid...to trust Him." And I'm sure that Cassie did that...and she's in a better place, but her family is going through it I would think....

What if someone held a gun to one of my children's heads and said "Renounce Christ!" Could I stand strong? I don't know. I know what I should do...but could I do it?

I feel sorry for those guys...because no matter what God thinks of it, if they are Christians they will probably be plagued with that the rest of their lives...
 
If I'm ever in that position I hope I glorify God.

Sinful human says one thing and God another.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?